15mm Flames of War American Infantry

After playing a couple games of Chain of Command, I got excited about doing some 15mm WW2 figures. I went out to my FLGS and picked up the Battlefront American Rifle Company. I was extremely impressed with the level of detail and variety of poses in this kit.

These little guys are mounted on washers and based with Vallejo Sandy Paste. I primed with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh, then used the color guides found in this YouTube video.

Here’s my progress so far:

IMG_20151206_223218 IMG_20151206_223401 IMG_20151206_223408 IMG_20151206_223422

Sprucing Up Cheap eBay Trees

I found some very reasonably priced O-scale trees on eBay (about $1 each), but I somehow overlooked the fact that they have wires for trunks. So I set out to fix them.

Bases are wooden discs from Michael’s with edges ground down with Dremel tool and a hole drilled into the center of each. Then I glued down a washer on each for some extra weight.

trees1

Here’s a close up.

trees2

Tree gets glued into hole:

trees3

Then I sculpted the trunk using cheap air-dry clay (again from Michael’s). To get the effect below, just drag something thin from top to bottom. Make sure the trunk is reasonably thick, or it will crack after drying.

trees4

I waited a day before painting. I didn’t seal with PVA, but it’s probably not a bad idea if you want extra durability. Painted dark brown then a quick drybrush with a lighter brown. Flock the base, and you get some pretty decent little trees:

trees5

trees6

Next batch, I might smooth out the transition between the roots and the base. On these, you can see a bit of a line where they meet. But for a first try, I’m pretty happy.